Sometimes you need to get out there and try out some new recipes…this is what I keep telling myself. When I think of a jalapeno-cheddar cheese quick bread, my go-to recipe for ages has been Ina’s (of course) jalapeno cheddar cornbread. Why mess with a good thing? It’s great recipe that beats the bugger out of any from-scratch or boxed cornbread mix I’ve ever tried. But when I saw this recipe pop up on Josie’s blog (a fellow Ina fan and BB member by the way) I was completely drawn in. I immediately put it on the menu for the following week and drooled every time I thought about making it.
This isn’t a cornbread recipe so don’t be disappointed if that’s what you’re looking for but I can assure you won’t be let down by it nonetheless. It’s fantastic! The bread is soft, savory and full of spicy cheesy flavor. We both loved it as a side to some cheddar corn chowder and won’t hesitate to serve it alongside other Mexican dishes in the future. Aside from the greatness of this bread, it’s an absolute cinch to throw together. Some quick breads don’t make good on the name but this one definitely does and it took 5 minutes for me to prep. I realize that trying to scramble around the kitchen while making different parts of a meal is sometimes overwhelming so don’t pass this recipe up if you need a quick side for a meal!
source: adapted from Mary Chec, Savory Baking, via Pink Parsley
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 cup) extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped jalapeño chile, veined and seeded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375, and grease or spray an 8×3 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, salt, pepper, sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add the cheese and gently toss and stir until it is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Whisk the milk, oil, egg, green chiles, jalapeño, and red bell pepper in another bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and cheese mixture, and pour the milk mixture in the center. Briefily blend with a spatula, only until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and place in the oven. Bake until the top is golden-brown, and springs back when touched in the center, about 45-50 minutes. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and cool completely.