BB: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
I’m a pancakes-from-scratch virgin. Or at least I was. I’ve never had the desire to try pancakes at home other than from a Bisquick mix. I guess I’ve always thought that from-scratch pancakes took too long to make when I could just open up a box of Bisquick, add eggs and milk and make my pancakes. But sure enough, I found out out this weekend that from-scratch pancakes were just as easy as my boxed mix…with the added benefits of course: a “clean” set of ingredients and the feeling the pride of conquering another ‘never made’ item on my list of recipes to try. So thanks go out to Karen of Something Sweet by Karen for forcing me (it’s not like she had to twist my arm, really) to make pancakes for the first time from scratch for the Barefoot Bloggers first 2009 recipe!
I really was very excited to try this recipe out as I’m a lover of all things with sour cream so I new these Banana Sour Cream Pancakes had to be good (aside from the fact that they ARE an Ina recipe). And as kid, pancakes (Bisquick of course) were a regular Sunday morning staple in my house…many times with bananas so I knew I’d love the banana aspect of the recipe. To my surprise, the recipe came together without any issues. I actually measured out the dry ingredients before Kyle and I went to our 8am Sunday church service so that I wasn’t scrambling to measure ingredients when we got back, famished as we usually are after church and as a little treat, I added some mini chocolate chips to the batter…a wonderful addition! These pancakes were great!! I loved how the bananas almost grilled themselves into the pancakes when I flipped them over – a nice touch if I do say so. And the addition of a few extra bananas on top with the syrup (you MUST find pure maple syrup if you’ve never tried it before!!) wasn’t such a bad thing either. Now that I’m fully over my fear of making from-scratch pancakes, we’ll definitely be making these again – but not this weekend because Ina’s Easy Sticky Buns are on the menu for this Sunday. 😀
Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
source: Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, page 177
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Unsalted butter
- 2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
- Pure maple syrup
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes. Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup.