Big Fat French Toast
This recipe is pretty simple and I figured I would jot it down here so that I can use it in the future and if anyone else out there is as inept at making french toast as I have been, there is now a simple recipe for you to use too. 🙂 Considering my lack of french toast making skills, I didn’t actually use a recipe, but kinda made it up as I went along…that IS what cooking is about sometimes, isn’t it?
source: Smells Like Home
- 8 thick slices of bread, preferably a few days old, about 1″ thick each
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp half n half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- butter, cinnamon-sugar mixture (2 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon) for serving, and maple syrup
- Heat a griddle or large non-stick frying pan to medium heat. Meanwhile, beat eggs, milk, half n half, vanilla, and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- When griddle is hot, soak bread in egg mixture until softened and place on griddle. Repeat for remaining slices of bread. Flip after about 3 or 4 minutes (bottom will be browned) and then move cooked french toast to a warmed plate in a warm oven until all the bread is cooked.
- Top each piece with a small pat of butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture, and serve with maple syrup, if desired.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 8-10 minutes